Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Where's the bread?

Yet another day without baking. I'd intended to make dough for pizza today, to bake tomorrow: but the day got in the way, and we've been invited to friends for dinner tomorrow evening, so perhaps tomorrow afternoon I'll get to it.

Finally today we got a decent rainfall -- of course, it got the second half of the swimming lesson cancelled, but that's okay. The teacher -- who hadn't taught Boo and Skibo since last year -- was thrilled with their progress -- to the extent that she's scratching her head to come up with what to teach Boo that she hasn't already mastered.

As for me, I spent much of the day setting up a new tablet pc, running XP, and inventing new swear words to express my frustration: every time you turn around it needs to be rebooted: I have to log on as a privileged user every time I want to install something (instead of having a sudo-style solution, where I can grant myself temporary superuser privileges for the sole purpose of installing a piece of software). Still, the hardware seems nice, if a little slow (which could be that it's running XP, but could also be that it takes more to run the tablet screen than a regular laptop screen: I don't know). At some point I'd like to see what linux can do on the box. Soon.

Yours, XPeeved, but not too badly,
N.

No comments: