Tuesday, July 7, 2009

7/7

I'm struck, once again, by the resilience, fortitude, and just plain ability to ignore adversity of the British. I've mentioned before the different ways that the UK and the US responded to their respective acts of terrorism: but today I'd forgotten the date, until it appeared in an unrelated place, and I thought "Oh. July 7th". Most immediately I was struck by the fact that I'd seen no reminders in the US media, blogs, twit-head-streams, etc.
I checked the major newspapers: some of them appeared at first glance to have nothing: others had a small sub-head buried deep in their webpage mentioning that Prince Charles commiserated with families of victims at a memorial ceremony. But that was it. Four years on, it's not forgotten, but the nation has moved on.
Some day, we over here will react with the same sang froid. But not until we catch the Englishman's usual bloodly cold (bad translation intended).

Yours, thinking we need a little more sang froid over here sometimes,
N.

No comments: