Monday, November 17, 2008

It's beginning to sound a lot like Christmas

and that's not a good thing.

This morning, as is my wont, I went to the cafe to fill my mug with coffee: they always have satellite radio playing in the background, and usually I can just tune it out (or more accurately, just listen instead to my music in my earphones).
Today, however, there was someone I had to speak to briefly, and had to turn off my ogg player, only to have Christmas music thrust upon me.
Apparently the satellite broadcaster has had stations playing Christmas music since November 1: it's just that those stations haven't been playing in places I've been.
As to why it's a bad thing (other than the obvious reasons): I am assuming that retailers want the Christmas music to persuade shoppers to buy presents earlier this year than usual --- because the economy has tanked, sales are down, customers are depressed about salaries, etc --- so this is just another
bad sign.

Yours, unready for the Christmas spirit,
N.

1 comment:

awareness said...

My ears have been invaded too by Christmas music and i find it appalling. The stores are decorated already too. A crime.

Keep the earphones in.... :)