Friday, April 4, 2008

Origami class becoming origami club

As we are moving the children out of the Montessori school after this term, it seems unlikely that I will continue to do origami there every Friday afternoon. As much as I love doing it, it's a long way to go each week, and there are other even more deserving groups to teach it to.
But I do care about this group, though. And I don't want to see it die out.
So today I did two things towards seeing if I can give it a life of its own.
The first was talking to some of the staff about getting the physical setup: a place for the students to meet, a time, supervised by staff: this is actually pretty easy.
The second thing was to get some of the older students to start thinking about their being leaders as well as followers: I got another of them to teach the younger ones how to make frogs ("But I don't know how frogs!" he complained --- but I pointed out that he knew how to read instructions, also that teaching is a great way to learn. He took to it like a duck to water.

Yours, hoping that all the ducks will swim off together,
N.

No comments: