Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Fish markets

I miss fishmongers. Even though, growing up, I didn't live particularly near the coast, there were always fishmongers around: shops whose sole purpose (pun intended) was to sell (uncooked) fish. I miss being able to go into a store knowing that the person behind the counter will understand what I'm looking for, and be able to suggest a good alternative.
Some supermarkets have reasonable fish departments inside them, but somehow it's not the same. The non-fishy, almost briny smell of a good fishmongers is missing.

And now Alice tells me that she has been to the Mediterranean, and that she has stories of fish markets to tell. And I'm jealous.

Yours, old, and scaly,
N.

1 comment:

alice c said...

There used to be two fish shops in the local town - one was a real cod and haddock shop and has now closed down. The other had a wide variety of fresh fish and the grumpiest fishmonger it was my misfortune to meet. It was definitely enough to make you carnivorous. Now, luckily, the local Waitrose which is near a golf course caters for every fishy wish.