Thursday, March 13, 2008

Orchestral maneuvers

I used to play in an orchestra, half a lifetime ago. Actually, I played in more than one orchestra, and in a jazz band or two too. I was, however, never very good.
This never held me back (although I can't really say that it helped me out much either!) I was enthusiastic, and made that trombone dance and sing. Of key, perhaps. Arhythmically, possibly. The wrong notes at the wrong time, frequently.
Nonetheless, I had fun. And most of the time did okay.
This is why this news from Alexander McCall Smith (yes, he of the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency series of mysteries, amongst others) is so thrilling to me!

Yours, oh so tempted,
N.

1 comment:

Ginnie said...

Hi, N. You definitely need to get yourself one of those orchestras. One thing not mentioned in the article: They serve wine to their audience before the concert begins. He says it makes everyone much more tolerant. And, if you get the chance to hear A. McCall Smith speak, jump at it. He came to our area last spring and was absolutely captivating. I would go hear him again in an instant.