Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Iowa result

I am less disappointed tonight than I was four years ago. I never managed to get enthusiastic about Kerry, except in comparison to Bush --- and I can enthusiastically support any one of Edwards, Clinton and Obama. I'm delighted that turnout has gone up not dramatically but even more, hugely more, in the Democratic race. And that a lot of the turnout was from young people is a wonderful thing.
It is not clear to me that Edwards' likely scraping a second place finish is enough for him to survive until he reaches here in a few weeks time --- I like his message best, and after today will still choose to vote for him, if I can.


It remains to see how the press treats the speeches --- four years ago, they destroyed the Dean campaign by focusing on the "scream". And does McCain's 13% finish in the Republican race allow the press to treat him as the winner overall....

This makes the races in New Hampshire much more interesting.

Yours, at the beginning of a year glued to politics,
N.

No comments: