Saturday, January 12, 2008

Back to food

I've been thinking about food as well as politics (of course) (doesn't everybody?) and wanted to share my most recent inspiration.
So far it exists only in my mind (LOML's too --- I've described it to see what someone else would think). But I've been wondering about dessert pizzas --- and while I could easily look up someone elses recipe, I thought that I'd try to come up with ideas unblemished by others first.
So: here is a thought for a dessert pizza.

For the crust: instead of bread/pizza dough, either brioche, or perhaps challah: eggy enough, and sweet enough to carry a dessert, and brushed to get a high gloss finish in the oven.
For the toppings: two possible choices so far:
- halves of strawberries, drizzled after baking with thin streams of ganache
- pineapple chunks and seedless grapes (perhaps halved?).

I've also been thinking about a less sweet version: a brioche crust, prebaked most of the way, then topped with hunks of brie, put back in the oven to finish for a minute or two --- not enough to melt the cheese, just soften it --- and then scattered with toasted almonds or walnuts, and drizzled with a dark chocolate.

And before you scoff at brie and chocolate together, try it!

Yours, imagining,
N.

3 comments:

~A~ said...

The desert pizza I do is made with a sugar cookie dough crust. Then topped with cream cheese that has been sweetened with powder sugar, but not too much. Then fresh fruit and or berries.

I'm curious to hear what you come up with. I've been playing with the brioche dough now that I have a mixer that can handle it.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, You have me thinking now.....

Anyway, you know what would be good with that brie one... zucchini marmalade.

awareness said...

sounds delish!

Have you ever made pizza on the Bar B.Q.?

Joke said...

Try this: Brioche crust, topped with a raspberry coulis and grated white chocolate.

Tastes brilliant AND looks like a "regular" pizza.

-J.