Thursday, October 11, 2007

Magic

I have for some time now been the magic person in Boo and Skibo's lives: well, at least equal part-time magic person, with LOML, the equal partner in all of this. But I've been the one doing the really silly magic disappearing sleight of hand: the sorts of things that they should have seen through ages ago. And it gives me a huge thrill, even still, when they look at me with wonder in their eyes, and go "that's magic!".
Today, the one thing that I took home was how to do a magic trick. And I showed it to them. And it worked. Time and time again. Except when it didn't! But when it did, it was great --- and the best part of it is that LOML and my parents watched too, and had no idea how it works:-)

As a friend of mine with IBM (the International Brotherhood of Magicians) puts it, "don't ask how it's done. I'd have to kill you. And I'd hate to have to do that".

Yours, ad abracadastra,
N.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ah....IBM! It brings back memories...my daddy was a member of the IBM Ring in Murfreesboro, TN, for a few years. We got to see all sorts of fun magic tricks and meet the magicians...they were SUCH a fun bunch...we would occasionally go to Shoney's for hot fudge cake after the meetings and the magicians would play tricks on the staff. I smile every time I think about them! Thanks for the reminder! :)

Cornish Dreamer said...

I remember the days when my brother used to amaze us with his magic tricks, some of them I still don't know how to do myself! It's great for children, adds to their sense of wonder about life.

alice c said...

A word of warning - my father had a very impressive magic trick involvong handkerchiefs. Then one day I accidentally discovered how it worked - and the terrible moment when I realised that my father was not really a magician is engraved on my mind.