Sunday, October 28, 2007

Baps

It's been an odd few weeks: I went almost three weeks without baking a loaf of bread -- actually, strictly speaking, longer, since I didn't bake a loaf this weekend: rather I made a batch of flour-dusted scottish baps: they are a soft roll almost unknown outside the UK, and, back when I was last in Scotland, ubiquitous there. The dough is made with milk and a bit of butter, and is very tender: the crumb isn't expected to be too open: it should have some heft to it despite its softness.
A recipe may follow: and perhaps a photo. There was only time to take one. The rolls were devoured.
And delicious.

Yours, on a roll,
N.

1 comment:

alice c said...

I love baps - although I am from the other end of the U.K. What fascinated me when I went to Scotland was the whole area of baked goods just for Breakfast. I can imagine that you would be in heaven.