Friday, October 26, 2007

Getting my goat

No, not really: there is unfortunately an anti-livestock regulation in town: not that we'd get goats, but we might get chickens if we could.
And no, I'm not referring to Resident Bush either, "My Pet Goat", as it were.
No, I'm talking about taking the children to visit nature. And not nature as it was intended to be, nature as in a farm.
A goat farm.

We are very lucky to have a very nice facility nearby: a well kept, almost-organic, humanely-treating, goat farm, about three miles from our house. They sell home made cheese, goat's milk, eggs (they keep chickens too: the goats' eggs are less palatable) etc. And best of all, they welcome visitors, any time they are open!

So Boo and Skibo and I left LOML to get some work done yesterday afternoon, and headed over to the farm. We were met at the gate by Sophie, a Great Pyrenean Mountain dog, gentle as a (rather huge) lamb: she came up and demonstrated that her actual breed was "lovehound": her main interest seemed to be in leaning on me hard enough to push me over:-)
We checked in at the store, just to let the folks know we were wandering around, and visited goats, pigs, chickens, donkeys, dogs: almost like being at a petting zoo --- except that it was so open and free-ranging: even though the animals were penned in, it felt less zoo-like...

After visiting all the animals we returned to the shop, bought a couple of dozen eggs -- fresh laid, we know where they are from, they taste great: how can we go back to store bought eggs? -- and a few other things: including postcards with pen-and-ink drawings of Sophie and of one of the goats, to pin up in Boo and Skibo's bedroom, to remind them of the trip!

I'm uploading photos now, and will post some of the visit later. Especially of Sophie:-)


Yours, just farming out the work,
N.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to think that these kinds of places exist all over. Kids need to see where food comes from. Not from a push button vending machine. I feel blessed to have lots of farms here. Michele sent me tonight.

Great title and signature. We do indeed farm out most of the work.

Shannon akaMonty said...

Can't wait to see the pictures! It makes me a little sad that my kids aren't growing up as I did--I was lucky enough to live on 20 acres, with chickens and pigs and dogs and cats...the neighbors had sheep, goats, & cows (it was a small, small town with lots of farmers and livestock). I loved it, and I wish my family was still there.
We ran tame through the woods, we explored, we rode bikes everywhere because the nearest neighbor was a half mile away...it was fantastic.
Your post totally brought on a huge wave of nostalgia!

Hello, Michele sent me!

Melody said...

Owww....sounds lovely. Nothing quite like fresh eggs is there? I remember being a little girl and going to one of the nearby farmhouses and collecting the eggs. We'd go each week and pay the old lady for a dozen eggs... I'd like to see your piccies when they're up..

I'm here via Michele today so hello from her and hello from me!

Pirate Princess said...

We had goats growing up - I was quite a milker! Sounds like lots of fun...

Michele sent me just before calling it a night. :)

kenju said...

I haven't had really fresh eggs since I was very young and we went to visit my great-grandparents on their farm. I wish I could have some now, but I don't know if they are sold around here close by.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

How wonderful to have this Farm so very close by. And how great for your kids to see animals like goats in a more natural seeting....! There is somehing about goats that touches my heart. There is a vulnerability---at keast, that is what I see.

Thanks for your visit and your lovely comment, too!

Cornish Dreamer said...

Oo, I can't wait for the photographs! Why is it large dogs tend to be so soppy?!

I like goats, I have a fascination with their eyes. Unfortunately, the male ones really stink, but otherwise they're great.

Brilliant for the children, I bet they had a fab time!