Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Lasagna again

From scratch, natch. Yesterday I made another batch of fresh pasta, and then LOML used the sauce from Saturday's spaghetti bolognese (well, meat, tomato, etc sauce: it's not really Bolognese, since I use ground beef rather than the veal, pork and beef mix which I've seen used, and I put more tomatoes in than is traditional). Anyway, the sauce was really good, and we managed to get three meals out of it: spag bol once and lasagna yesterday and today.
And so far, the kids have always eaten the homemade lasagna --- even Skibo, who usually insists that he doesn't like noodles of any form. And even my father ate the lasagna, in spite of it having cheese in it...

A suggestion. Pasta is easy to make if you have a food processor and a rolling pin (although this time I actually used the pasta maker LOML bought me a few Christmases back, and it did a lovely job): just combine the appropriate amounts of flour, egg, water, salt, oil in the bowl, process until it's a firm dough, refrigerate for an hour or two, and roll out into lasagna.
And the texture is so different from the store bought noodles in this dish!
And so the suggestion is: try this at home. I'm not a trained professional!

Yours, amateurishly,
N.

4 comments:

kenju said...

Speaking of food processors, my old Cuisinart has bitten the dust, I fear. I tried to grate some cheese tonight for steamed cauliflower, and ended up with cheese bits scattered all over the kitchen. It seems that part of the latch that keeps the top on has broken. Boohoo. I could try to order a new top, but it is 25 years old, so I suppose I will have to buy a new one. Do you have a favorite one?

BreadBox said...

We have a big cuisinart, about 5 years old, and it seems to be holding up okay. They run around 100 bucks or so, I believe (that could be off by 20 bucks either way, depending on where you find it) which on your past experience is about four dollars a year.
We order parts for our broken equipment from an online company -- it might be that you can get a new top for it cheaper than a new machine, and if it is working well, this would be a good solution.
I think we used kitchenparts.com
(who've now merged with someone else, but the address ought to work still) --- they are advertising covers ranging from 10 - 30 dollars, depending on style.


N.

Cornish Dreamer said...

That lasagne sounds delightful N. Lasagne is one of my favourites, although I can't really eat it anymore. I didn't know pasta was so easy to make.

RT

BreadBox said...

RT: how come you can't eat lasagna?
There are various different ways to make it, so no matter which ingredient you have a problem with, so long as it's not flour, you should be okay! And it really is *so* easy to make!

N.