Thursday, October 2, 2008

Unsurprisingly

Unsurprisingly, Governor Palin is far more together in the debate than she has appeared in recent interviews: but at the same time, I have to admit that she makes my skin crawl.

And I find it interesting that she's insisting on referring to Senator Obama as "Barack" every time she mentions him. It comes across to me as incredibly condescending: almost as though he's the family servant, and doesn't deserve a surname, let alone a title.

Yours, creeped out,
N.

2 comments:

Annie Peterson said...

I noticed that she did that too, but I have to point out that Senator Obama did it John McCain their entire debate... That one shocks me more because McCain is an elder both in age and in length-of-term in the Senate and because he was actually standing right there and using the address "Senator Obama" whenever he talked to Obama.

BreadBox said...

Ah, but there the difference is that when Senator Obama did it to Senator McCain, he was doing it in the context of speaking to him (and as many have pointed out, looking directly at him). And as to age, well, I agree that McCain is a lot senior in years and terms served: although it's not something he always seems to want to have pointed out. I think in the context of the campaign, they speak as equals, and when speaking of each other in the other's absence, "Senator X" is appropriate. In the other's presence, and speaking to him, I believe his name can be used.
I was much less offended, for example, by Governor Palin's continued (and, I felt, given her "may I call you Joe" and "say it ain't so, Joe" lines, contrived) informal references to Senator Biden.

N.