Friday, March 14, 2008

Three in one

Three posts in one, but really they are all about origami.

First, after much frantic folding, I finally finished fifty five thousand origami pieces. Well, actually, it is probably only in the hundreds, but it felt like more! And all the final folding was done in the origami club, with three new students today: they were all seven year olds who had been in the room last week when the club was folding, and decided that they wanted to try what the cool eleven year olds were doing.
The most thrilling part, though, was not what they folded under my supervision, it was how well one of the older students took the younger ones under her wing and taught them to fold masu boxes! Way to go, J!

Secondly: last night, Boo told me that she had been in her classroom that morning, and had walked past the bookshelves with the origami dragon, crane, frog, panda etc on: and, she said: "It made me cry! In a good way!"

Apparently this statement didn't make it to Miss G, her teacher, but somehow today origami came up in class, and Boo volunteered me to go to the class and show them all how I fold things: and I saw Miss G this afternoon, and have promised to do so on Monday morning. I don't think that I will get them all to fold anything: at 3-5 years old, they are too young to cope with in a group of twenty (individually, I could probably manage to do something, but not all at once): but I will be able to talk about origami, show them a few models, and hopefully have some fun. And give some fun too:-)

Yours, never done folding,
N.

No comments: