Tuesday, March 11, 2008

On the Eliot mess...

My favourite quote so far:
The unhinged reaction on the part of the media and, by extension the public, is a national embarrassment. Once more, the French are laughing. I don't really care what the French are doing, but still...do we have to keep making them laugh?
from Seth Greenland at Huffposthow can I top that?
All in all, it seems that this is an example of a brilliant yet flawed leader who will have taken down his career, and perhaps in the process diverted attention from a financial scandal that he was trying to highlight. All for the sake of a little sex.
I'd be mad at him if I weren't madder at the country for the stupid way we treat this stuff --- and I am as bad as anyone, laughing at Larry Craig's airport misadventures, or David Vitter's prostitution problems. Of course, in the latter cases, it was never clear to me in the first place that the johns were brilliant yet flawed leaders....
It seems ridiculous to me that the basis for prosecuting him will not be engaging in dubious acts with a prostitute (whether or not this should be illegal, it is long settled law in the US that it is a State matter, not a Federal matter) it will be for "transporting across state lines for immoral purposes". Which of course brings to mind a dreadful joke, but that will remain untold.

Yours, considering the whole thing a dreadful joke,
N.

2 comments:

awareness said...

I wanna know the joke!

Was the girl from nantucket?? lol.

I posted something on the same topic tonight.....perhaps this week I'll continue to write on various and sundry newsy stories.

Did you catch Letterman last night? He was VERY funny, and must've worked FAST at pulling together his monologue with only a couple of hours between the Spitzer admission and showtime.

BreadBox said...

I missed Letterman --- I caught the Daily Show, though.

The joke I was thinking of was about train-spotting protestants over sedate lions for immortal porpoises. It's a long shaggy dog story all for a leadup to that last line.

N.