Saturday, March 1, 2008

A new month

and already, a sad start. I dropped a knife this morning, and the handle broke. Broke off. And the knife is the first decent knife I ever bought: I'd had it for almost twenty five years --- a six inch utility knife good for just about anything.
Now, it isn't my favourite knife -- or wasn't, I should say -- I far prefer eight inch chefs knives now for most tasks, and I have another six inch utility knife that I preferred anyway: but it was and old friend. And now it's sitting on the counter, waiting for me to throw it away. It's hard, just throwing away an old friend you've had for decades.

Yours, down,
N.

2 comments:

Cornish Dreamer said...

I know what you mean N. I've got an old bone-handled butter knife that was my grandmothers...it's the only thing I have left that was hers. Unfortunately the more it's used, the more the bone is wearing away. I dread the day it falls apart!

Bobkat said...

I'm sorry about your knife. It's weird how we can ll get attached to inanimate objects. I guess they are a tangible link to the past.