Sunday, July 19, 2009

Swimming, furniture and origami

Last week LOML and I found a rather nice patio table, at a very reasonable price, and we decided that, in the hope of making sure it lasts a little bit, we should coat it with an appropriate polyurethane varnish. So this morning, on the deck, we set to moving umbrellas (no direct sun) and sanding and painting with varnish. This evening it is dry to the touch, so perhaps in a day or two we can put another coat on.
Yesterday, LOML drove to town and picked up chairs for it as well: we've put two together so far -- out of eight -- and perhaps in the next day or three we'll do the rest.

Swimming was next on the agenda today: both Boo and Skibo were keen to jump off the diving board --- although Boo is not yet comfortable diving off it, and Skibo would only contemplate jumping if I was holding his hand as he went in. So over the course of half an hour or so (being pagans on Sunday means we can take advantage of otherwise-empty pool hours!) I worked with him, having him jump from the side holding my hand, then from the board holding my hand, then from the side without my holding him, until he was cheerfully running off the board and jumping in without me.
Boo learned how to dive quite nicely from a semi-kneeling, semi-standing position, turning nicely over an outstretched arm to slice into the water. She's up for another week's swimming lessons, which I hope will include some more diving instruction. Skibo's going to have to miss them, since he's having a week of pre-kindergarten camp/instruction/preschool. Still, they'll both have lessons the following week.

I'm due to teach origami camp starting tomorrow, for 3 hours a day for a week. I'm hoping it will go well, but as with all new classes, in a new environment, with students I've no clue about, I'm a bit nervous. But sure all will work out.

Yours, in the midst of everything,
N.

No comments: