Thursday, July 16, 2009

Microsoft's latest attempt at control

In a subtle attempt to ensure that physicists switch from Linux to something else, Microsoft has just released some old Feynman lectures: but they've done so using a proprietary platform, "silverlight": now, as a linux user, I can't run silverlight, but I can go to Novell's site and see if I can run their version, moonlight or some such name.
Unfortunately, Novell hasn't released their product for a modern platform (i.e. 64 bit) nor have they a version built for Fedora --- and so rather than go through the pain of figuring out how to install the program I'm giving up for now. Feynman will have to wait.
But this sort of "we own the content so we can make you use our software to look at it" really annoys me. It's why I object to Amazon's kindle format, to Apple's Itunes store (and if I had bought a Palm Pre in the past few weeks expecting to download songs from Itunes I'd be mad as hell today!) and to Microsoft Office's attitudes in the past.

Yours, steamed.
N.

No comments: