Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Origami at the library

Yesterday I spent some time at the not-quite-nearest library (the main library for the county we live in, half an hour from the house, as opposed to the smaller branch two blocks from the house) showing a bunch of children how to do origami.
It was an interesting two hours: the students were of very very varied skill levels, especially their attention-paying skills. Halfway through the session I was convinced that it was going to be a disaster: there were eleven students, and I was torn from table to table, trying to maintain a semblance of order. But somehow I managed to steer things back to stability, and the librarian called for a snack break. Replenished, nourished, having eaten and drunk, the students settled down rather better, and I was able to finish on a whirl: after one of the students had claimed he "could fold cranes with his eyes shut", I decided to do just that. So for the final few minutes I demonstrated what I like to call blind-folding --- there was complete silence across the room, an awed hush, and as I finished, one of the more rambunctious boys let out a "Wow!"

Next week, the week long afternoon summer camp. Yesterday, multiplied by five. I wonder if I will survive.

Yours, wondering which day to save the blind-folding demonstration for...
N.

No comments: