Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Spending time with the children

This morning I spent a couple of hours at the school, in Boo and Skibo's classrooms: it was interesting in Boo's class to see the sorts of work she does -- the "short four chains" and "short three chains" especially: and watching her work with the manipulables was really interesting: it gives me an insight into how she is learning.
She also chose to read three little books to me (we've slipped up on her reading at home over the past couple of weeks): the first book she was a little hesitant, but as she regained confidence she got better and better and smoother and smoother.
Skibo was fun: he wanted me to read to him, so I did: a couple of long books: and halfway through the first one of his friends came over and kept giving shy sidelong glances as if he wanted to listen too: so I asked him if he wanted to sit down and join us, and he did.
Skibo also showed me some of his work, in particular the pink tower and the brown stairs: but he just wanted to show me the stuff, not actually sit down and show me the work he performed with the stuff!

Yours, booked for joy,
N.

No comments: