Monday, May 12, 2008

Leftovers

We ate leftovers tonight. Except for the salad, of wonderful vegetables picked fresh from LOML's garden!

We had chicken soup with rice, cooked last week: good by itself, but better with fresh bread. Unfortunately, the most recent batch of bread was made a couple of days ago, and so it was less fresh than I'd like, so I cut some wafer-thin slices and toasted them under the broiler (that's "grill" to you folks back home) and made melba toast. We persuaded the children to eat the soup using the melba toast as edible spoons, and they both yummed it up.

For dessert, we had cake and chocolate roulade made for yesterday: and also, some of the lemon curd flavoured whipped cream which I had spooned into icecream sundae glasses and placed in the freezer: it made for a delicious, if rich, dessert.

A few days ago I caught part of a program about funky dessert chefs, who tried all sorts of weird things, especially with presentation. As a consequence, I'm now considering the following:
making melba toast from brioche: making frozen lemon-curd-flavoured whipped cream, and figuring out some way of making a fruit "caviar" so that I can spoon a little of the cream on the melba toast, sprinkle on a little fruit caviar and make a dessert bite. Any ideas gratefully accepted!

Yours, in invention mode,
N.

5 comments:

Cornish Dreamer said...

mm, sounds like some lovely food!

Joke said...

Did you make croutons with the remaining bread?

-J.

BreadBox said...

RT: it was delicious, yes!
Joke: not yet --- I'll more likely make breadcrumbs and stick them in the freezer. I tend to make croutons on demand --- I like their staleness to be fresh:-)

N.

Joke said...

Have you tried grating the brad to make "panko" type breadcrumbs?

It generaly works best when teh donor loaf has a tender and open crumb, but still, worth doing if you can.

Foodily,

-J.

BreadBox said...

Nope: I haven't made panko breadcrumbs: thanks for passing on the secret:-)

N.