Monday, February 4, 2008

Cornish Pasties and a call to Cornish readers

I remember cornish pasties fondly from growing up in the UK. And even though they were never from Cornwall, nor baked by a Cornish baker even, they were good, and are to be recreated. Lovingly.

But not last night. I followed Nigella Lawson's recipe, from her "How To Eat" book, I believe: the flavour was okay, pretty good, in fact. But the pastry. It just wasn't right: it was light, it was flaky, it was tasty, it was tender: but it didn't have the heft to it, the integrity to it that a cornish pasty calls for.

Pasties are thing which should be picked up and eaten by hand. Last night's were delicious on a fork, but they weren't pasties.

I know I have a slew of Cornish readers --- well, two or three at least: any recipes/tips/suggestions?

Yours, with thanks in advance,
N.

1 comment:

Cornish Dreamer said...

Well you've definately spotted the first problem: the pastry should definately not be flakey.

I'll tell you what I can do, ET's Nan has been making pasties for many many years (decades, even) and is cornish through and through and I'm pretty sure ET has been "educated" in pasty making. I will ask her & I'll give you her thoughts... ;@)

RT