Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Yorkshire pudding

MrsMagpie was kind enough to post a recipe for scones, and one of her commenters mentioned an inability to make Yorkshire pudding. I don't have the recipe I use to hand right now --- it is at home, in my copy of Cooking with Julia and Jacques, by Julia Child and Jacques Pepin.
However, I can reveal the secret which transformed my Yorkshire puddings from flat lumps to beautifully risen, crispy rounds: in addition to baking in individual muffin pans, the key ingredients to success seem to be getting the temperature
high enough (making sure the pan is on the heavier side, that it is pre-heated in the oven for a few minutes) and using enough eggs.
Yup. As soon as I got the batter eggy enough, it worked. Prior to that, it flopped.
Literally.
So now, if I recall correctly, I use about a cup of flour, a cup of milk, and five eggs. But check out J&J's wonderful cookbook for the recipe!


Yours, passing it on,
N.

2 comments:

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

My brother loves Mum's Yorkshire Puds (I'm not allowed to eat them)... He'll eat a bowl of them if there's any left after Sunday lunch!

Cornish Dreamer said...

I used to heat up the tray before I added the mixture. Haven't made Yorkshires for a long time though. I can feel a Sunday Roast is well and truly overdue! Oh, and it's almost the weekend...