Thursday, June 5, 2008

Thoughts on the primary

I've tried, and I suspect, failed, to try to remain respectful of both candidates over the past few weeks of the primary process. I was particularly disappointed, as I may have mentioned on Tuesday, with Hillary Clinton's speech that night -- as I was with her being introduced as "the next president of the USA" at a point at which this was a ridiculous statement to make.
But that is over. Now the former rivals are meeting (having surprised the press, keeping word of the meeting quiet): and I have to say that in the two days since the final primaries, Hillary has been more impressive. I hope that she will be able to persuade her supporters to turn to backing Obama: whether he chooses to place her on the ticket, in the cabinet, or to rely on her in the Senate (certainly to shepherd through the healthcare legislation he's promised) she is going to play a leading role in America's political future -- and I think that that role is brighter if he wins the election than if he loses it. As is the future of the country.

Yours, looking for a brighter future,
N.

No comments: