Tuesday, June 10, 2008

David and Goliath

At lunchtime today I went to a fast food restaurant (I know, I know, and in fact I agree with the sentiment: I shouldn't patronize such places... but LOML and the children were headed there prior to going swimming, and I wanted to go with them...)
On the way home, I drove my car (since I had come straight from work) -- and watched as LOML turned the minivan in the wrong direction. I pulled up next to where the van parked, and rolled down the window.

Having no camera with us at the time, word will have to paint a picture for you.

"Look at that", said LOML, pointing at a mockingbird, divebombing a hawk! The aerial display continued as the hawk took flight, leaving the fencepost on which it was sitting, and attempted to soar off. No such luck: the mockingbird flew on after it relentlessly, attacking its tail, and appearing almost to land on its back in mid flight! Finally, a quarter of a mile away, they disappeared behind a stand of trees.

Yours, astonished,
N.

No comments: