Thursday, December 20, 2007

Proceeding gingerly

An update on the gingerbread. Yesterday we made the dough. Today we rolled out the dough, cut the shapes, crushed hard candies (boiled sweets, that is) and placed then in the window holes, baked the pieces, and set them aside to cool.

Tomorrow morning, we will try the royal road to glue: royal icing to stick it all together. And then the decorations: the candy canes, and jelly beans, and chocolates, etc... That is where the sprogs will no doubt come into their own!

And now, a word to all those eagerly awaiting pictures: LOML is not a professional baker, and neither am I (although I am pretty competent with real bread). And while I can guarantee that the gingerbread will taste good, I am not sure how the finished product will look. So please, don't expect perfection, or anything close to it! We are doing this for the enjoyment of the children, and they are enjoying it fine.
Can you guess that last night I saw a show on professionals making gingerbread houses? And found it just a little intimidating?

Still, I have some hope that the house will look like a house, and if it works, I will
happily post the templates that I've made up (I did the one we used by hand, but spent a few minutes doing it on the computer this evening so if it works we can redo it next year!) together with the recipe for the dough itself.

Yours, amateurishly,
N.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't bake at all, so tthat sounds good to me. Hope the children go ga ga over it. I would!

Am I invited?

Michele sent me here early amd am I glad!!

rooted
reading room

gautami tripathy said...

Do post the templates. I would like to have a look at those. Michele sent me back again. She knew I had forgotten to mention this!

Andi said...

I keep on saying that I am going to make a gingerbread house. I am intimidated and think the walls will fall over. :-)