Monday, April 18, 2011

Not quite wet-folding

I've been meaning to try wet folding (an origami technique) for a while now, and have been waiting for the right impulse: it's right round the corner, I can tell, but not quite there yet.
However, I did get to work with wet paper on Saturday for a while: we'd had a massive storm Saturday morning, and after it was over, Boo went outside to discover that she'd left a book outside.  It being a book she was very interested in, she was naturally rather upset: so I spent some time thinking about the best way to dry out the pages: the paper is quite glossy, so there was a good amount of water just sitting on each page, and the paper itself was perhaps a little less soggy than if the pages had had a more matte finish.  I took some paper towels and wiped each page dry-er, then put a sheet of paper towel between each page. 
By yesterday morning, it appeared to have been working, to an extent: the pages are separable (my biggest concern was that they would end up glued together) and now feel only slightly damp.
The spine will probably fall apart, but at least Boo can still read the book and do all the activities in it.

Yours, thinking that this one might just possibly work,

No comments: