Sunday, July 24, 2011

Spanish Gold

We made paella this evening: quite delicious, as I had hoped, although the soccorat didn't work out as well as I had thought it might.  I was happy to discover that a couple of local grocery stores sell little packs of saffron, and not hidden away in the back, either.  It used to be that the local stores were so worried about it being shoplifted that you'd have to ask for it, feeling rather guilty, as if buying some forbidden product.
And as for the title, spanish gold: it turns out that at current gold prices, saffron is rather cheaper than the metal: not much, but a bit.  Saffron locally sells for between $350 and $400 per ounce, counting sales tax.  Fortunately, I only needed half a gramme, or 1/56 of an ounce, so the cost was merely inhibiting, not completely prohibitory.

Yours, spinning the threads,
N.

1 comment:

Cornish Dreamer said...

Ouch with the price of Saffron! I know how expensive it is from the old days when I used to bake saffron bread though, thankfully, supermarkets now sell it here and I don't think it's as expensive as it used to be.