Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Troubled by news

I'm in the process of interviewing candidates for a scholarship, a scholarship which expects students to be aware of current events, to take an interest, to debate, and consider, and suggest options.
Naturally, I've been asking probing questions about the situation in Egypt, Iran, Bahrain, etc: and I've been asking myself similar questions about where I stand.  Why am I so much more comfortable with the US putting pressure on Iran than on Bahrain?  Is there a political angle that trumps a moral angle?  Is there even a process whereby, say Mubarak, could have successfully walked the narrow line he tried to trace?   Between not stepping down and not shooting huge numbers of people?  Is there a process for Iran?  For Bahrain?

I have to say, I have been impressed by some of the students I've questioned (and unfortunately, less impressed by a small number of the others): they are thoughtful, are willing to say "I don't know", or "I haven't considered that: let me think for a minute", and to stand their ground.

Yours, enjoying thinking about issues outside my academic realm,
N.

No comments: