Saturday, October 24, 2009

A math day

I supervise the local portion of math competitions on campus, and today was one such day. So I dutifully got to work at 8:15 on a Saturday morning, and watched the students struggle to try to answer questions. A fun time, even for the students, I think. There is something liberating for a very good student to take an exam which they know is going to be hard enough that the odds of getting a high score are slim.

And then my colleague D, visiting from out of state, and I sat down for several hours and played with polynomials. Fruitfully, I hope. There's a good chance that what we did this afternoon will lead to something worth doing.

Finally, pizza:-)
It had to come back to bread, to dough, to baking!

Yours, tempering the math with a little yeast,
N.

No comments: